Town Clerk

Theresa Whelan

Town Clerk, Registrar, Records Management Officer

Tel. 845-856-5064

Linnea Vail, Deputy Town Clerk and Deputy Registrar

Office Hours

Monday-Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Services Available:

Birth & Death Certificates

Dog Licenses

Fishing & Hunting Licenses

FOIL Request

Library - NYC Digital Membership

Library - Port Jervis

Handicapped Permits

Marriage Licenses


Voter Registration


Registrar of Vital Statistics - The Registrar is responsible for maintaining all births that occur within the Town and Village. Birth and death records are not open to the public for inspection. For genealogical purposes, death records become available after fifty (50) years after the date of issuance. Birth records become available after seventy-five (75) years. All Burial Permits from cemeteries located in the Town are filed in the Town Clerk’s Office.

Filing Officer for the Town - The Town Clerk maintains all adopted Town Ordinances, Local Laws, Oaths of Office, resignations, petitions, affidavits of publication, annual budgets, fiscal reports, assessment rolls, court actions and bonds/note register The clerk also maintains the public signboard and advertises and receives bids for the purchase of Town materials.

Issuing Agent on behalf of State Agencies - The Town Clerk issues the following licenses/permits as an agent for New York State: Marriage, Dog, Conservation, Games of Chance Bingo, Bell Jar and Raffle licenses and Handicapped parking permits.

Issuing Agent for the Town of Greenville - The Town Clerk is responsible for issuing the following licenses/permits: Soliciting and Peddling permits, Use of Town Park/Athletic Fields and Pavilions permits, Special Event permits, Use of Senior Center permits and Electrical Licenses.

Records Management Officer - The Town Clerk is the custodian of all permanent Town records and provides for the storage, retrieval and disposition of records for all departments of the Town. The records are retained as set forth by the New York State Archives Records Retention Schedule for municipalities.

Records Access Officer - The Town Clerk is responsible for all Freedom of Information requests (FOIL). Requests must be received in writing. The fee for copies is $0.25, per page, for sizes up to 9 x 14 inch. Copies of other records shall be charged based upon the actual cost of reproduction.

Recording Secretary to the Town Board - The Town Clerk attends all Town Board meetings and is responsible for recording the actions of the Town Board. The minutes are the official record of the Town Board and are maintained permanently for legal and historical purposes.

Election Coordinator - The Town Clerk works in conjunction with the Board of Elections to oversee all Special, Primary and General Elections in the Town.

Cash Control Officer - The Town Clerk is responsible for the collection and disbursement to the state, county and local fiscal officers of all fees collected through the office.

Zoning and Code Book Maintenance and Distribution - The Town Clerk's Office updates and makes available to the public: Zoning Ordinance and Maps, Subdivision Regulations and the Municipal Code.

Notary Public - A Notary Public is available in the Clerk’s office.

Click any of the headings below for more information

Marriage License

      • Licenses are issued Monday - Friday. Please call the Town Clerk’s Office to make an appointment.

      • Fee: $40.00

      • Each party must bring in two forms of ID (One age-related document AND one identity-related document)

      • Age-related documents: Birth Certificate, Baptismal record, Naturalization record OR Census record

      • Identity-related documents: Driver’s License, Passport, Employment picture ID OR Immigration record Previously married persons must provide a certified copy of either a death certificate or divorce papers.

    • Valid for 60 days after 24 hour waiting period.

    • Both applicants must appear in person.

    • To view the Application to Local Registrar for copy of Marriage Record, click here.

    • For more information regarding getting married in NY State, click here.

Death Certificates & Birth Certificates

  • If the person died or was born in Greenville the certificate will be on file in this office (Copies are available to the spouse, parent, child or sibling, or their lawful representative. or other persons who have a documented lawful right or claim or a documented medical need or a New York State Court Order)

  • Fee is $10.00 per certified copy.

  • To view the Application to Local Registrar for copy of Death Record, click here.

  • To view the Application to Local Registrar for copy of Birth Record, click here.

  • For information regarding NY State Birth & Death Certificates, click here.

Dog Licensing Requirements

  • Dogs over 6 months old in the Town of Greenville must be licensed.

  • Proof of current rabies vaccination must be provided.

  • Proof of spaying/neutering (if applicable) must be provided.

  • Fee is $5.00 for a spayed/neutered dog, otherwise the fee is $13.00.

  • License must be renewed every year.

Conservation Licenses

    • Must have required hunter education courses (not required for Fishing License).

    • Must produce a NYS Driver's License,or NYS Non-Driver's ID or expired conservation license.

    • Fees vary depending on type of license.

    • For information regarding NY State Conservation Licenses, click here.

Parking Permits for the Disabled

  • For a Permanent or Temporary condition, you must submit a NYS Department of Motor Vehicles application (form MV-664.1), after it has been completed by a physician. This form can be obtained from our office or by clicking here. Temporary permits can be issued for up to 6 months.